January 1, 2016

Double G Picnic

About the time I started my table runner project featuring Melody Miller's Picnic fabrics, we visited some friends for an Independence Day celebration.  Their red, white, and blue gingham place mats inspired a larger quilt featuring the Picnic apple prints:


The quilt construction is very simple, and it came together quickly using strip piecing, with little waste. (UPDATE: I have a tutorial for this quilt here.)


Since the quilt is so simple, I chose a simple quilting scheme as well.  I quilted straight lines a quarter inch on either side of all the seams, and added crossing diagonal lines through the center of the squares.  I marked the diagonal lines with a hera marker.


I considered using only prints from the Picnic line, without seeking too much of a transparency effect, but after playing around with some options in Photoshop, I decided to add in a few different Cotton+Steel prints.  I didn't particularly want to invite the bees to the picnic, but the color seemed just right (even if the highlights are orange and pink instead of red).

For the backing, I used the picnic basket print in blue, with some extra squares from the front.  As you can see, I did not have enough extra squares to get the width I needed, so I had to add on some scraps from another project.


The binding is Picnic Blanket in red:


We took the photos the day after Christmas at my Dad's place.  Here's an outtake:


I'll be linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday. 

7 comments:

  1. It's just beautiful; the prints you chose are perfect for the gingham effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. plaid, not gingham (LOL)! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt! Isn't it great how the C & S prints from different collections play nicely together?!? The binding you chose is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice quilt and great pics! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the plaid effect that you created with these prints. What fun fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a simple pattern, but the effect is so complex! And that truck is the perfect prop to show it off.

    ReplyDelete