The "Dreamweaver" pattern by Gudrun Erla, from her book Strip Your Stash, seemed like a good choice. I chose a couple of Art Gallery Smooth Denims for the background and feature fabrics; I also supplemented the design roll with strips from my scrap bin, substituting for some of the duplicated fabrics in the roll.
The original quilt in the book uses a more controlled color scheme; the interlocking squares are less evident in my quilt, but I still like the overall look.
The denims have a subtle directionality due to the nature of the weave. Normally I would try to keep all the pieces oriented the same, but that was not possible here. The blocks are based on strip piecing, and the blocks are placed with various rotations. I did keep the orientation consistent within each block, which results in some interesting contrasts at the intersections of the blocks.
I kept the quilting relatively simple, with orange peels/dogwoods/continuous curves in the background, and a simple echo in the strips.
I tried a new spot for photographing this quilt -- our backyard storage shed. It's not an ideal spot; the lighting reflected from the foliage results in uneven color shifts. However, I was able to hang and photograph it without helpers. (I used old sewing machine needles to hang the quilt.)
The back uses one of the fabrics from the Shaman line. I chose this fabric because of how well it coordinates with the gray denim used for background and binding, and also because I found a good sale price.
Here is a view showing front and back together.
I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.