I quickly settled on a couple of Parson Gray fabrics for the rust and white stars. For the background, I decided to try a chambray. The golden yellow fabric for the transparency, though, took quite a while to find. I tried out several fabrics in mock-ups (sorry, maquettes) like these:
Some were the wrong hue; some worked to create the transparency effect but the fabric design was not to my taste. I finally found an In The Beginning fabric that seemed just right (the one on the left above).
The background fabric is Robert Kaufman's Nep Chambray in Indigo. It is a navy/cream cross weave, with flecks of red and gold here and there.
It has a bit of a loose weave, so I got concerned when I read abour Rachel's experience with Essex linen. I had already cut the pieces, though, so I forged ahead. I didn't experience much unraveling until I started sewing rows together, then I got nervous. I ended up placing dots of Fray Check every few inches along the straight seam allowances. And as you can see, I quilted it quite heavily too.
I quilted the background in the same design I used in the original quilt, but I did the stars differently this time. For the white stars, I did a point-to-point design:
For the large star, I marked two consecutive stars inside, similar to a Rising Star quilt block, then used different fills in each area.
I filled the outer section of the star with feathers.
For the backing fabric, I wanted something bright and multicolored, to contrast with the front. I chose a Laura Gunn fabric, and added some Parson Gray stripes with a little bit of BasicGrey trim.
The colors in the stripes don't really match the rest of the quilt -- what I thought was navy in online images is actually charcoal -- but I think it still works. The label is pieced in. I'm quite pleased with how well the stripes matched up. The binding is a Laura Gunn Painters Canvas.
I finished the quilt shortly before we took a family trip for our school's fall break. I packed along the quilt and got a few of these photos at a North Carolina campground.
That was a couple of weeks ago. It has taken a while to get the additional photos for this post, because on the last day of our trip, we went whitewater rafting on the Nantahala River, and I came home with a broken ankle. That has slowed down both my photography and my quilting. I am thankful it is a simple fracture with no surgery required.
I was motivated to get this posted in time for Blogger's Quilt Festival; I'm also linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.
Update 1/30/2018: A pattern for this quilt is now available as a PDF download in my Craftsy shop.