Many thanks to Barbara Black for capturing a couple of photos for me at the recent Quilt Market in Salt Lake City. I had entered a block in the Tim Holtz Creative Journey block challenge, and it was selected as one of the blocks to be made into a quilt.
My block is in the third row, third from the left.
I so appreciate Barbara's efforts to find the quilt and get photos -- and I think it is cool that Tim Holtz is in the photo too! You can read more about Barbara's experience at Quilt Market here.
My prize for the contest was a 40-strip design roll of Eclectic Elements (some of my favorite fabrics). Now I am trying to decide what to make with it...
May 6, 2016
I made a bag for my daughter using the Super Tote pattern by Anna Graham (Noodlehead).
The fabrics are from the Drift Away collection by Sue Schlabach, plus Andover Chambray in mustard.
I used Soft and Stable for the medium weight interfacing. I also used a layer of Soft and Stable in the front pocket piece so that I could quilt it. I cut the pocket pieces larger than the pattern before quilting, then trimmed to size after quilting. This was to allow for the slight shrinking caused by the quilting. I did the same for the back exterior piece.
For the quilting, I outlined her initial on the front pocket, and filled in the background by following the chevrons in the fabric. For the back, I just quilted along the chevrons.
I probably should have trimmed the Soft and Stable from the top seam allowance of the pocket, although that would have been difficult with the quilting stitches in place. I had to do a second row of top-stitching to get it to lie somewhat flat, but it still looks a bit odd.
I added a layer of stiff interfacing to the handles, sliding it in place after turning right side out.
Inside, I put one fully lined elastic pocket:
For the other side of the interior, I added a zippered pocket using this tutorial, and a key fob using this tutorial:
A little fussy cutting for the zipper tab:
This was my first time making a bag with such heavy interfacing. It was much easier to work with than I expected, and the pattern was great (augmented by the many tips I found online). I'm sure using my Janome 8900 helped too; not sure if the old machine could have tackled this. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Now I need to make one for my wife.
I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.