I made a bag for my daughter using the Super Tote pattern by Anna Graham (Noodlehead).
The fabrics are from the Drift Away collection by Sue Schlabach, plus Andover Chambray in mustard.
I used Soft and Stable for the medium weight interfacing. I also used a layer of Soft and Stable in the front pocket piece so that I could quilt it. I cut the pocket pieces larger than the pattern before quilting, then trimmed to size after quilting. This was to allow for the slight shrinking caused by the quilting. I did the same for the back exterior piece.
For the quilting, I outlined her initial on the front pocket, and filled in the background by following the chevrons in the fabric. For the back, I just quilted along the chevrons.
I probably should have trimmed the Soft and Stable from the top seam allowance of the pocket, although that would have been difficult with the quilting stitches in place. I had to do a second row of top-stitching to get it to lie somewhat flat, but it still looks a bit odd.
I added a layer of stiff interfacing to the handles, sliding it in place after turning right side out.
Inside, I put one fully lined elastic pocket:
For the other side of the interior, I added a zippered pocket using this tutorial, and a key fob using this tutorial:
A little fussy cutting for the zipper tab:
This was my first time making a bag with such heavy interfacing. It was much easier to work with than I expected, and the pattern was great (augmented by the many tips I found online). I'm sure using my Janome 8900 helped too; not sure if the old machine could have tackled this. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Now I need to make one for my wife.
I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.
Great purse, I really like the fabrics you chose!ReplyDelete
Great project! You are able to combine patterns and colors for a great finish!ReplyDelete