May 26, 2017

Dreamweaver quilt

This quilt began with a design roll of Parson Gray Shaman fabric, which was a gift.  The strips in the roll were sorted by warm and cool colors, so I sought out a pattern to take advantage of this grouping.  The color groups can be seen in the swirls at the top of the roll in this photo:


The "Dreamweaver" pattern by Gudrun Erla, from her book Strip Your Stash, seemed like a good choice.  I chose a couple of Art Gallery Smooth Denims for the background and feature fabrics; I also supplemented the design roll with strips from my scrap bin, substituting for some of the duplicated fabrics in the roll.


The original quilt in the book uses a more controlled color scheme; the interlocking squares are less evident in my quilt, but I still like the overall look.

The denims have a subtle directionality due to the nature of the weave.  Normally I would try to keep all the pieces oriented the same, but that was not possible here.  The blocks are based on strip piecing, and the blocks are placed with various rotations.  I did keep the orientation consistent within each block, which results in some interesting contrasts at the intersections of the blocks.

I kept the quilting relatively simple, with orange peels/dogwoods/continuous curves in the background, and a simple echo in the strips.


I tried a new spot for photographing this quilt -- our backyard storage shed.  It's not an ideal spot; the lighting reflected from the foliage results in uneven color shifts.  However, I was able to hang and photograph it without helpers.  (I used old sewing machine needles to hang the quilt.)



The back uses one of the fabrics from the Shaman line.  I chose this fabric because of how well it coordinates with the gray denim used for background and binding, and also because I found a good sale price.


Here is a view showing front and back together.



I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.


May 19, 2017

A baby-size New Star Rising

A few years ago I designed a transparency quilt based on sawtooth stars, and made a couple of versions in a lap size.  (You can see those versions here and here.)  Having received several requests for a pattern, I am finally writing it up, and decided to create a baby-size version of the quilt as well.


This quilt is 32" x 40", and except for the backing is all Art Gallery Smooth Denims.  The backing is Cotton+Steel's Les Fleurs Rosa in Peach.


For batting, I used Quilters Dream Pink 80/20 for the first time.  It is a lighter loft than I usually use, but it was the perfect size and the perfect price (free swag from Quiltcon).  With the solid fabrics, the quilting still shows up well.

I quilted rays in the background, as in the previous two quilts, but used slightly different fills this time.


I filled the large star with peacock plumes.


This is an easy quilt to make; the key is in the fabric selection.






If you are interested in pattern testing for me, please let me know.  (I can offer the PDF pattern and some publicity here on the blog and on Instagram in return.)

I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.