August 18, 2015

Auditioning borders

I'm making good progress on my Broken Star quilt.  The main part is assembled (with lots of Y seams!), and I am almost ready to add the borders.

My original plan for the borders was a 1.5-inch (finished) inner border of the background fabric, followed by a 1-inch border of scrap diamond strips, another strip of the background at 1 inch, then an outer 6-inch border of a linen fabric.

To audition this idea, I spread the top out on the floor and placed cut strips along one corner, overlapping the strips where possible to reveal the finished width.  I tried a few arrangements and took photos of each.

Here's the original idea (or as close as I could get; the outer background strip would finish narrower):



I think the inner border might be a little wide at 1.5 inches.  Here it is at 0.75 inches:



Or I could eliminate the inner background strip altogether:



Here's another approach.  Not sure I care for this one.



Or I could go even simpler.  There are a couple of drawbacks to this one, though.  I'd need to buy more of the linen fabric to get the width I want, and I'd have to sew with a 1/4 inch seam (I'd prefer 1/2 inch for linen).


I have a preference already, but I won't reveal it just yet.  What do you think?

I'm linking up with Lee for WIP Wednesday.

11 comments:

  1. I like B. A is second. C and D are in order, and E is right out... 8)
    I love to audition borders this way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like B. It looks like it's floating, and draws my eye to the pieced corners, which are gorgeous. Reminds me of fabric I have had for cough, years, to make a Lone Star. Since decided I don't want the traditional one. What pattern is this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like B. It really finishes off the quilt beautifully. Lone Star is on my list of future quilts to make, just haven't gotten to it yet. Is this an Edyta Sitar pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a specific pattern, but it is indeed inspired by multiple quilts by Edyta.

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is stunning! A or B would be perfect.
    You will be able to tell better when up on the design wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one gorgeous quilt--I like A hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like A and B, maybe B a little better, but both give the interior part of the quilt a little breathing room before being framed. I love the delicate nature of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think option A is my fave. What is the beautiful low volume type fabric you have used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The background fabric is from Tim Holtz' Eclectic Elements 2, Correspondence in Taupe.

      Delete