I cut strips from his shirts at 1.5 inches, for blocks that finish at 9 inches.
The border fabric, which is also used in the center of the log cabins, is a Tim Holtz print which reminds me of my dad's wooden carpenter rules.
For quilting in the diamonds, I chose a peacock feather motif (we had peafowl on our farm when I was young).
In the background, I used swirls and a grid of orange peels for the quilting.
I pieced the back of the quilt using the backs of the shirts. I cut them at an angle following the cut of the shirt to make maximum use of the fabric, although I still had to add some partial rows. The label is from Spoonflower, and incorporates a photo of my father.
I sorted the shirts by lights, mediums, and darks for the star, using 7 or 8 shirts for each grouping. The orange/red/white plaid which appears on the back, though, did not fit easily into any of the groups. I did piece a few strips from this shirt into the "whole" light blocks, where they are less likely to detract from the contrast of the design.
For the binding, I wanted to use a yarn-dyed plaid. I chose a Robert Kaufman Mammoth flannel for the colors. It's a bit bulky for a binding, but I think it turned out OK. I did cut my strips at 2.5 inches (rather than 2.25 as I usually do), and used a trick found here (step 5) to trim some bulk from the corners.
One of the shirts had some embroidery with a team logo above the chest pocket. I didn't see a way to work this into the quilt, but I did save it to make a beanbag/pincushion, adding trim from a second shirt. I gave this to my niece who also graduated from UNA.
The quilt itself is a gift for my dear sister, who lived next door to my dad and did so much for him.
I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.