January 15, 2015

Legacy Hexie Garden


About a year ago, I won a fat quarter bundle of Angela Walters' Legacy fabric (thanks Amy!).  I mixed in some other fabrics with the bundle and made a quilt using Atkinson Designs' "Hexie Garden" pattern.



I was attracted to this pattern by the hint of transparency at the contrasting triangles, and by the stars in the secondary design.  I'd also been wanting to give hexagons a try.  I followed the pattern fairly closely, although I did use various solids for the contrasting triangles, whereas the pattern calls for a single fabric for these.

I used Julie Herman's Hex N More ruler to cut the hexagons and the triangles.  The pattern did not call for this ruler specifically, but it worked perfectly.

Each "flower" used less than a fat quarter, and for some of the fabrics I purchased half-yard cuts.  I used some of the extra fabric in the back, along with a couple of yards of a Heather Bailey fabric I found on sale.  I thought the colors in the Heather Bailey fabric were perfect for this quilt, but I was afraid the scale of the design would not work well in the hexagons -- hence the use on the back.


I chose the additional fabrics for this quilt at about the time the "radiant orchid" challenge was taking place.  I knew I'd not finish this in time for the challenge, but it did inspire me to add in some orchid fabrics.

For the quilting, I did a point-to-point design in the secondary stars, and added some "ghost" stars in the border.  My goal for the remainder of the border was to quilt a dense design that would contrast with the stars.  I don't think I achieved the goal completely; I believe I could improve on my density.


I quilted the center of each "flower" with the same design, but I used various designs in the prints.  Here are a few photos:



 




For the binding, I used a Joel Dewberry print also used in the hexagons.  I had originally chosen a different fabric, but when I saw this print in person I really liked the design and the way the colors played with the other prints.



At the risk of photo overload, here are some more shots...





...including more of the quilting in the blocks...





I'm linking up with crazy mom quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Such a lovely, cheerful, fresh'n'fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt. It has a vintage feel but with a modern flair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really drawn to your quilt. The transparencies pull me in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful! I can't stop staring at it. It would be awful if it were at my house. I wouldn't get anything done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love this, and there aren't too many pictures. I loved all the close-ups. I have that ruler and think I may make a quilt like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your quilting is amazing! really beautiful. wow! beautiful fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love! Did I say how much I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!! Your quilt is beautiful and awesome!!!!! I don't say awesome often!!!!! Wow!!!!!! I love everything about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete