February 19, 2021

Quiltcon Together

The Modern Quilt Guild's annual show, Quiltcon, is virtual this year, and for 2021 is called Quiltcon Together.  The dates are February 18-20, so it is happening now.

Two of my quilts were juried into the show, Corona Wedding Dish (in the Piecing category) and Everyone Was In the Loop (in the Small Quilts category).




What a surprise to learn that Corona Wedding Dish won two awards!  It received the award for Best Machine Quilting, Frameless, and also received a Judge's Choice award.

Special note -- I'll be joining a panel Saturday afternoon to discuss the top winners.  Quiltcon attendees can access it as LE19.


The awards ceremony was an online event Wednesday night.


The previous night I spoke with Heather Kinion and Colleen Molen; they told me about the quilting award and recorded my reaction to share in the awards ceremony.

(I need to learn to look at the camera instead of the image on the screen.)


Heather and Colleen did not mention in our chat that I would also be receiving a Judge's Choice award, so this was a big surprise when it was announced in the awards ceremony.



Jen Carlton Bailly is one of the three Quiltcon judges, and she selected my quilt for this prize. Jen spoke about her choice in a recorded video; my wife and I really enjoyed her comments.  She said it brings Dr. Seuss to mind, and she even dreamed about my quilt!

You can see all the winners from Quiltcon Together here, and you can read more about my Corona Wedding Dish here.

I've not blogged about Everyone Was In the Loop before.  This quilt was intended for a challenge by our local guild, Heritage Quilters of Huntsville, but like so many things that challenge had to be cancelled.  The prompt for the challenge was to incorporate a fan block and make the quilt 20"x20" for 2020.  My design was inspired by the work of Sara Bond.  The applique letters were cut from a Tim Holtz text print; the background fabric is a Tim Holtz print as well.  The text itself is a quote by former ambassador Gordon Sondland from the 2020 impeachment inquiry.


There are lots of great workshops and lectures available to Quiltcon attendees.  So far I've enjoyed a workshop on Creating Graphic Quilts by Lynne Goldsworthy, and a lecture on 10 Things Judges Wish You Knew by Nancy Fuka.  And of course there are plenty of great quilts to enjoy in the show.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your BIG win at Quilt Con!! How exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both your quilts! The first one is so happy, and the second one is just fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your winning quilt is such a stunner! Congratulations!! I appreciated your sharing about it on the Winners interview today. Beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete