March 3, 2017

Quiltcon 2017 -- part 1

Quiltcon in Savannah was quite a treat!  This was my first time to attend Quiltcon; I'm glad the event was within a day's drive for me this year.


I arrived Thursday afternoon and just had time to register and take a brief tour of the winning quilts.  Above is the Best of Show, "Bling" by Katherine Jones.  I was happy to see that my friend Elaine Poplin won a ribbon for her dizzying quilt, "Vertigo":


Driving through Georgia, I heard a forecast for morning fog in coastal areas, so I had visions of great photo ops in the historic area of Savannah.  I got up way too early Friday morning and drove downtown (my  hotel was near the airport), thinking sunrise was around 6:00 when it was actually 6:50.  There was no fog, but I had plenty of time to wander around town in the quiet darkness and attempt a few photos.  (I try to limit this blog to quilt-related images, but I might share just a few scenic shots from Savannah.)


I had breakfast at Clary's and made it to the convention center in time for a day-long quilting class with Kathleen Riggins.  We learned a lot of great fills which I am anxious to put to use in a quilt.  Unfortunately, I didn't think to get any photos of the class.

I was up early on Saturday morning for photos too, but not before sunrise.  My morning destination was Bonaventure Cemetery, which opened at 8:00 am.  I was concerned that the sun might be too high for good photos by that time, but fortunately the morning turned out to be partially cloudy, providing for good diffused light.


[You can see more of my photos of Savannah here.]

After an hour at the cemetery, I drove over to the convention center and was there when the main hall opened.  I spent much of the day wandering the show and photographing quilts, and also visiting the vendors.  It was fun to meet a few online friends, and also to see so many well-known faces.

I took a lot of photos of quilts in the show, and at first I was not sure if it would be worth sharing them, since plenty of other folks are sharing too.  But I've seen wonderful quilts online that I don't recall from the show, even after walking the exhibits multiple times.  It really is an overload of inspiring work.  There is a good chance I'll have captured something no one else has shared.

I'll share my photos across multiple posts.  I thought I'd start with some of the quilts that I have close-ups of quilting or other details.  I'll post the maker's identification underneath the photos.

 "Not Easy Being Green" by Mary Keasler; winner Best Machine Quilting (frameless, needle stationary)
 
 "Not Easy Being Green" quilting detail


"Madonna" by Brittany Bowen Burton; quilted by Natalia Bonner
Winner, Best Machine Quilting (framed, needle moves)
 
 "Madonna" detail

   "Madonna" detail

 "Madonna" label


"Ode de Yoshiko" by Marilyn Farquhar;
First place, Piecing

"Ode de Yoshiko" detail

 "Ode de Yoshiko"  detail

 "Ode de Yoshiko"  detail


 "Tartan Tattoo" by Linzi Upton
(Modern Traditionalism)

 "Tartan Tattoo" detail

 "Tartan Tattoo"


 "Organic Mid-Century Mod" by Laura Bennett et al.
(Group or Bee Quilts)

 "Organic Mid-Century Mod" detail


 "The Egg" by Hillary Goodwin; quilted by Rachael Dorr
(Improvisation)

"The Egg" detail

"The Egg" detail 

"The Egg" detail 


"Molly's Windows" by Hillary Goodwin
(Piecing)

 "Molly's Windows" detail

 "Molly's Windows" detail


"In Carrboro" by Chawne Kimber
(Small Quilts)

 "In Carrboro" detail


 "Folksy Fish" by Sarah Sharp; quilted by Karlee Porter
(Piecing)

 "Folksy Fish"

  "Folksy Fish" detail

  "Folksy Fish" detail


Another treat at Quiltcon was seeing the display of quilts by Angela Walters, and being able to see her amazing quilting up close.  While I'm sharing quilting close-ups, I thought I'd share these too:
Quilting by Angela Walters

Quilting by Angela Walters

 Quilting by Angela Walters

 Quilting by Angela Walters


More to come from my visit to Quiltcon 2017...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful post! I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete