June 8, 2022

A Yellowstone quilt

I used a set of Yellowstone National Park panels and added some of my own photos printed on fabric to create this quilt.


I had the photos printed at Spoonflower. The solids are various yarn dyes and cross weaves.





The backing is Mammoth flannel, and I used wool batting. This should be a warm quilt.


Here are individual views of each panel:





The hanging sleeve uses the same flannel fabric as the backing. When making the sleeve, I was concerned the creases might not hold well, so I marked the center line before folding in to meet it, then I stitched down the outer creases not far from the edge. I could have used a basting stitch for this step and removed them later, but I chose to leave the stitches in as sort of a topstitch. It seemed helpful when hand stitching the sleeve to the quilt, too.







I like the weight the flannel backing gives to the quilt, and the plaid seems fitting to the National Parks theme. I've used Mammoth flannel as the backing of each of my National Parks quilts.



No comments:

Post a Comment